How Important are Portfolios for Freelancers ?
Most of the employer ask about portfolios whenever they are looking for hiring any freelancers. Whether it is a web developer, content writer, creative director or graphic designer, talent acquisition departments run after portfolios at most. But the question is, what is a portfolio?
A portfolio is a compilation of documents which show an individual’s experience, skills, achievements and qualities. It is characterised by examples of what an individual has achieved in their field of expertise. A portfolio features personal information which markets the individual while focusing on their capabilities.
The portfolio is not a resume or a cover letter but acts as a testimony for your work. It helps in accentuating the individual’s working capacity and calibre. It also gives a firm opportunity for hiring people to understand the kind of work the individual offers and if that aligns with their vision. A portfolio also helps one negotiate their charges, which is a plus for all online freelance gig workers.
Today, every professional should have a portfolio, regardless of whether they are in a creative or artistic field. Professional portfolios should demonstrate how valuable an individual can be in the workplace. The ideal portfolio should clearly show a description of projects and samples of work that an individual has handled.
But do YOU need a portfolio?
As a freelancer, one must. But if you are new, then you must be wondering how and why portfolios are essential.
● Portfolios enable individuals to be creative and personal in expounding on their projects, skills, experience and knowledge. Whatever experiment you do with designs or made a new app, you can showcase all of those in your portfolio.
● Whether it is used in an academic, creative or professional setting, a portfolio sets one apart from other individuals.
● Individuals can formulate their aspirations, goals, achievements and reflection through portfolios. Through a portfolio, potential corporate and other organisations can read an individual’s personality, and how much value they can bring.
● Drafting a portfolio plays an essential role in enhancing confidence and self-discovery.
● Portfolios come in handy during interviews to prove an individual’s qualifications, capabilities and skills concerning the job in question.
● A portfolio highlights previous learning and work-related experience. It plays a crucial role during scholarship applications, bonuses and promotion negotiations.
Role of Portfolios:
A professional in any field has a set of comprehensive skills and knowledge. They are competent in their work area but other than testimonials and references, what else showcase their actual talents? Companies do not have time to segregate talents according to what they need after continuous interviews. A portfolio solves all those dilemmas in one go. As a freelancer, your portfolio acts as the sole window and platform for all the skills you are ready to offer. Using a portfolio to demonstrate accomplishments, capabilities and skills, enables current and potential employers to comprehend the services individuals offer and what makes them stand out.
A professional portfolio plays a significant role in boosting an individual’s proof of value, impression, and propels them ahead of their competitors. Below are examples of how portfolios uplift an individual’s status.
Promotions and Salary Negotiations:
Spend some time in creating a portfolio. Don’t worry if you are just starting because you can keep updating your portfolio slowly and steadily with more experience. Resumes and Cover letters are essential, but Portfolio boosts your chances of grabbing the attention and job opportunities more.