JOB TITLE: Senior Software Engineer
REPORTS TO: Team Lead, Software Development
DEPARTMENT: IT – Product Engineering
The Senior Ruby on Rails Software Developer builds and maintains web application solutions to continuously advance Tangoe Mobile, the industry-leading mobility management product in the enterprise marketplace. This role joins as a contributing member to an engineering team with focus in varied software development competencies, including: MVC architecture, database design and performance, API integrations, automated testing, security, and more. This work includes adherence to team standards and quality assurance practices.
- Architects software with consideration to scalability, extensibility, reliability, performance, security, and usability.
- Designs and develops quality software that conforms to department standards and code style.
- Exercises acumen in writing tests to verify delivered code meets acceptance criteria and coverage.
- Builds reusable code with intent on simplicity and self-documentation.
- Optimizes application for maximum speed, security, reliability, and scalability.
- Focuses efforts on delivering high impact and value to our users, team, and Tangoe.
- Demonstrates high-level proficiency in team tools, programming languages, and frameworks.
- Contributes to discussions on application improvements, project initiatives, and feature design.
- Updates team technical documentation as needed.
- Identifies and proposes recommendations on software development best practices.
- Collaborates with other team members and project stakeholders.
- Mentors, pairs, and trains other members of the team as needed to advance the collective benefit of the unit.
- Peer reviews team members’ code submissions and provides constructive feedback.
- Exhibits passion for software development and curiosity to explore the application’s workings.
- Acts as a leader in their role.
- Applies strategic thought to engagements.
- Completes assigned projects within the timeline defined by the Team Lead.
- Participates in daily SCRUM huddle.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adept in working with command line development and tools, such as bash scripts and tmux.
- Experience in OOP development preferably using an MVC framework. Proven Ruby / Ruby on Rails experience preferred.
- Adept in SQL-based database modeling and query optimization. PostgreSQL experience is a plus.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Proficient understanding and experience in API development (Restful or GraphQL) desired.
- 5+ years of professional web-based software development experience.
- Agile learner of new technologies.
- Familiarity with the wireless/mobile device industry is a plus.
- Ability to work in a remote environment.
- College degree or accredited education certification in related field preferred.